Thursday, October 30, 2008

Site Check: The Read Green Initiative

No matter how much flak I'll get with killing so many trees, it's really hard not to enjoy a printed magazine. You can bring it everywhere, it won't strain your eyes with UV rays, and the photographs never looked better.

Besides, I'll recycle them once the year's over. Calm down everyone.

To sort of "counter" this, I signed up for the The Read Green Initiative. This organization, lauding the efforts of the magazine community to encourage readers to recycle print magazines when they're done reading them, hopes to add to this noteworthy cause by offering digital subscriptions. You get the first one free, and if you decide to purchase another title, a portion of the price goes to planting more trees.

I like the cause, but couldn't wrap my head over the fact that subscription prices are almost the same as its dead-tree format. Why? Let's not forget that we're also paying for electricity from opening the computer and actually reading the magazine.

By the way, I subscribed to Layers magazine, a digital art tutorials publication. There are some that are NSFW.

No comments: