Friday, December 26, 2008

The Meaning of Life...
As Given by Myron

(Inspired by the The Meaning of Life issue of Esquire this January, I came up with my own list.)

The best gift you can give your kids is your time. Education comes in at a very close second, but you have to make them pay a part of their college tuition.

If I can do anything for the rest of my life, it would be to travel the world. And I don't mean just going to tourist spots. Sure, that's the first off anyone's list, but I don't want to leave the countries I visit still feeling like a tourist. It's all about immersing yourself in the way of life. You don't have to work or pay mortgage or shit like that, but every once in a while, go out and get to know the cute girl that's serving you coffee, or talk to the painter next door.

Even if you say you don't care about it, put a lot of thought in your personal style. You wouldn't believe how far it would take you. Screw those who still go by the mantra that “men aren't fashionable by nature.” In the world of first impressions and outside appearances, style is god.

That said, I think every man should own at least one single- or double-breasted military-style overcoat. There's something about the stiffness and the pin-point construction of the overcoat that screams “I'm a man.”

Loving someone should be close to effortless. That's how you know it's true love.

Your dream job—the one you'd kill for, is usually the one that comes with the most number of gut-wrenching and ego-breaking challenges. But it's also the one where you're in the cloudest of Cloud 9 when you've accomplished the task at hand. I worked for 3 years in Men's Health and it's the best years of my working life, but it also was the hardest in so many aspects.

There will always be someone better than you. I have a friend who's better than me at video games, another a sharper dresser, and yet one more that's wittier and funnier—and that's perfectly fine. Stop trying to be great at everything. Perfection is boring. Imperfection is living.

At the end of it all, remember what Abraham Lincoln said: “It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.” But you may grieve for those who passed away before their time. That's life's curveball.

Age is just a number. The people I hang out with now are 3, 4, even 5 years younger than me, but really, who cares? They're all amazing people, and that's all that ever mattered.

At least once in your life, you're gonna have to sleep in the airport's departure area or the train station. Keep one eye open for motherfuckers who will steal your stuff, but also savor how incredibly different the place is once evening rolls by.

Stop and smell the roses. Or at the very least, go out and breathe the fresh air, even if you have to book a weekend escape at a destination spa to be able to inhale something that isn't full of carcinogens. Funny how sometimes we tend to forget that our world is beautiful. Remember the Discovery Channel jingle: “I love the whole world, it's just an awesome place.”

No comments: